At Union Transfer & Storage, we want to help you make your move as easy as possible. We have compiled a few moving tips to save you stress, time and money during your next move. Take a look at our tips below!
- Start making up your change of address list - Try and send out a change of address notification to friends and family two weeks before your big move.
- Arrange to have mail forwarded - Don’t be late on bills because of wrong mailing address. Change your mailing address as soon as possible.
- Arrange termination date for electricity, gas, oil, telephone, and other main suppliers.
- Round up personal documentation – marriage/birth certificates, driver’s license, and so on.
- Arrange your finances – close or transfer bank accounts, savings accounts, and so on, if necessary.
- If you are taking electrical good such as a stereo, see if you still have the original boxes.
- Clear out unwanted goods – hold a garage sale to sell belongings that are no longer necessary in your daily life.
- Get rid of flammables – paint, petrol, gas cylinders.
- Empty fuel from mowers, clippers, trimmers, and so on.
- Clothes – Moving is the perfect time to go through your endless closet. Charity shops will love donations from you, and you can arrange the shop to pick up your donation right at your door!
- Separate books – disposable family reading, valuable.
- Check all electrical goods – If you are updating your life during your move, you may want to consider donating or selling outdated or unnecessary electronics.
- Have rugs cleaned.
- Start running down freezer stocks.
- Want to take the car? Check on import regulations and duty payable.
- With regard to family pets – make sure vaccinations and documentation are up to date.
- Shops, schools, theaters, lifestyles – it’s never too early to find out about your new home.
- Keep passports separate so that they are not packed.
- If you have children, separate cherished toys to travel with you.
- Will your new home be ready? If not, arrange temporary storage.